Tao is a Chinese word signifying "way" or "path". The path of tea begins in China and winds through the cultures of every country on earth. Although many traditions and adaptations have attended the 4700+ year history of tea, the Way of Tea has endured. It embraces respect for the leaf, care in preparation of the cup, and joy in sharing the resultant brew with friends, family, and associates.
The Tao of Aromatica is the corporate culture in which we participate in this unfolding adventure. Our Way is this:
- Our association with tea began and remains a journey. After 14 years importing, selling, studying, tasting, blending, and teaching about tea we have mostly learned how very much there is to learn. For us, the business of tea continues to be the business of discovery.
- We are committed to learning about tea in ways that provide demonstrable benefits to our customers. We are completing course work through the Tea Association of Canada to qualify for Tea Sommelier certification. This will ensure that we have thorough knowledge of all aspects of the industry and are grounded in industry best practices. We also hold certificates in Tea Blending from Victoria Bisogno, Argentinian tea sommelier, founder of El Club Del Te, and co-author with Jane Pettigrew of the Tea Sommelier Manual.
- For us, the business of tea has never been limited to just selling tea. As a local sole proprietor business we are hands-on and can operate Aromatica as we wish. Sometimes that looks like creating new signature blends for restaurants and wholesale clients, spending extra time with customers making sure they know how to get the best taste and value from their purchases, teaching, supporting our community, serving on the boards of local charities like Bowls of Hope and Chilliwack Symphony Orchestra, having impromptu tea parties in the store, or helping wholesale customers set up their own tea company. The business of tea has been good to us, and we are eternally grateful for the loyalty of our customers who share our journey. For us, it has never been solely about the bottom line.
- Karen and I are co-conspirators and curators of this venture. We share our love of tea and beauty through the products that we offer.
- What's next? Exploring, learning, sharing - and the day it stops being fun is the day we are done. What can we learn tomorrow?
Retail Store Hours
Sunday 11am - 5pm
Monday 10am - 5pm
Wednesday 10am - 5pm
Thursday 10am - 5 pm
Friday 10am - 5pm
Saturday 10am - 5pm
Our on-line store is always open
(Most orders ship within 48 hours.)
10015 Young Rd North, Chilliwack, British Columbia V2P 4V4