If you served yams with your turkey or ham this weekend, this is the BEST way to use up any left over yams! If you don't have left over yams - they are on sale now so load up and get ready for a soup that will amaze you.
When Kim lived in Bellingham he raved about the Calophon Cafe's African Peanut Soup. Years later I thought I would see what all the fuss was about and I found lots of recipes to choose from when I decided to make this wonderful dish. This is our adaptation - and a great way to use up left overs.
AFRICAN PEANUT SOUP
Optional: garnish with peanuts & cilantro
1 large onion
1/2- 1 lb ground pork or left over diced chicken/turkey
3 bay leaves + 2 Keffir lime leaves
1 heaping tsp each ground coriander & cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle powder, salt & pepper to taste
1 litre chicken broth
2" ginger peeled & sliced
1LB baked yam, sliced
1 cup peanut butter
12 oz tomato sauce
1. In a large pot brown the onion and meat in olive oil.
3. Saute and add spices and tomato sauce.
5. Add peanut butter and stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
2. Puree the ginger in some chicken stock and add yam. Continue to thin with stock and puree til smooth.
4. Add puree mix to onion/meat/spices in large pan.
6. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring often as this is prone to sticking.
7. Serve with optional garnish of peanuts & cilantro.
Comments will be approved before showing up.